Jul 19, 2024  
2020-2021 Undergraduate Bulletin 
2020-2021 Undergraduate Bulletin [ARCHIVED BULLETIN]

Undergraduate Academic Policies, Regulations and General Information

The following academic policies and regulations have been adopted for the guidance of students, faculty and staff members at Capital University. For nonacademic policies and regulations relative to student affairs, see the Student Handbook.

Some departments or schools may have additional professional or academic policies.  See the department or school student handbooks for these policies.

Members of the academic community are expected to observe the provisions that follow and any subsequent revisions. Requests for information on academic policies and regulations should be directed to the Registrar’s Office. The policies stated in this section pertain to undergraduate and non-degree students. Academic policies governing students in the graduate programs may be found in their respective bulletins. Policy and regulation entries are cross referenced in parentheses.

Academic Calendar

Capital University operates on a semester basis.  Refer to the academic calendar for further calendar information.

Academic Distinction

Degree-seeking students who earn sufficiently high grade point averages during a given semester are accorded a special honor by being placed on the Dean’s List, Provost’s List, or President’s List. A notation of this honor appears on the student’s academic record. To be eligible for any of these honors, the student must be a degree-seeking candidate. The student’s average must be based on a minimum of 12 semester hours taken on a graded basis (A,B,C, etc.). Pass/Fail credit is not counted in the 12-semester hour requirement. The grade point averages required for each level are as follows:

  • 3.50-3.69-Dean’s List
  • 3.70-3.849-Provost’s List
  • 3.85-4.00-President’s List

Academic record

The academic record, maintained by the registrar, contains a chronology of all course work taken at Capital University as well as credit accepted for transfer or by other means. (See “Assessment” in General Information and “Exemption from courses” in this section.) The academic record also will note all official actions such as, but not limited to, inclusion on the Provost’s, President’s, or Dean’s list, academic suspension and dismissal actions and other academic/administrative actions. The academic record becomes a transcript when documented on an official transcript form bearing the seal of the University and the signature of the University Registrar.

Academic Sanctions

Academic Integrity

Capital University affirms the principle that all individuals associated with the academic community have a responsibility for establishing, maintaining, and fostering an understanding of and appreciation for academic integrity.  Academic integrity engenders trust that a student’s work submitted to faculty or university personnel for academic evaluation will be the student’s own. Students are expected to be honest and ethical in their academic endeavors when incorporating the intellectual ideas of others to support their academic work. A violation of Academic Integrity is considered to be any action or attempted action that may result in creating an unfair academic advantage for oneself or an unfair academic advantage or disadvantage for another number or members of the academic community.  This includes but is not limited to alteration or attempted alteration of University documents, cheating, collusion, department or course regulations, disturbances in the classroom, fabrication/falsification, misrepresentation, plagiarism, sabotage, and unauthorized use of an electronic device.  Studies are encouraged to first consult with their faculty regarding assignments, rather than risk serious academic consequences that may result from committing a violation.  For more information regarding the Academic Integrity Policy, please consult the Student Handbook

Probation, Academic

A minimum grade point average of 2.00 is required to earn an undergraduate degree. Some programs require a higher grade point average. Please individual departments for additional requirements.

A student is placed on academic probation whenever his/her cumulative grade point average falls below the 2.00 GPA required for normal progress or when deemed appropriate by the student’s specific department. (See specific department for details.) This action will be recorded on the student’s academic record.

A student on academic probation, as a condition of continued enrollment, may be required by the Academic Standing/Student Affairs Committee to schedule a consultation in Academic Success so that he or she can be referred for the appropriate tutoring, study strategy consulting or other academic support services.

A student on academic probation may be limited to a 12-hour course enrollment by the Committee and is encouraged to seek assistance from his/her adviser and additional services through the Center for Health and Wellness and the Dean of Studies.

A student on academic probation who has not made progress toward the removal of probationary status will, at the discretion of the Committee, be subject to suspension from the college and may be subject to dismissal from the university. (See “Suspension” and “Dismissal” this section.)

This status may or may not affect financial aid eligibility. If you are receiving financial aid, you must contact the Financial Aid Office regarding what programs you may or may not be eligible to receive. Students must be meeting appropriate Capital renewal guidelines for Capital assistance as well as Standards of Academic Progress for federal assistance. (See “Financial Aid” section for further information.)

Suspension, Academic

A student who has been suspended by the Academic Standing Student Affairs Committee has the right to appeal to the Committee. If the appeal is denied, the action of suspension is noted on the student’s academic record.

A student may apply for readmittance to the college through the Registrar’s Office after a minimum of one semester’s absence unless otherwise stipulated by the Committee or the Associate Provost. Summer sessions are not considered a semester. If a student is suspended at the end of Fall semester, the student may re-apply for the following Fall. If a student is suspended at the end of Spring semester, a student may re-apply for the following Spring, unless stipulated otherwise by the dean or assistant dean of that school or college.

A suspended student cannot continue in courses as a non-degree-seeking student.

Dismissal, Academic

A student ordinarily will be academically dismissed when any of the following conditions exist:

  1. if, following suspension from and reinstatement to the university, the student continues to work below levels established by the college;
  2. if, the student displays a fundamental lack of ability or motivation to achieve a baccalaureate degree.

A student who receives a notice of academic dismissal from the Academic Standing Student Affairs Committee or the Associate Provost has the right to appeal to the Provost and Vice President of Academic and Student Affairs before dismissal becomes official. A student who has been dismissed will have this action noted on their academic record.

The university reserves the right to dismiss at any time a student whose academic or professional behavior is unsatisfactory. A period of probation is not necessary for dismissal.

A.C.E. (American Council on Education)

(See “Exemption from courses” this section.)

Add/Drop policy

(See “Registration procedures,” below.)

Administrative Cancel

Course registrations may be administratively canceled under the following circumstances:

(1) A student has been registered for a course without meeting the required pre-requisites as stated in this bulletin.

(2) The instructor verifies the roster via WebAdvisor confirming that a student has never attended a class for which s/he is registered.

Administrative Cancels may be initiated by the course instructor.

Students should initiate all changes in registration and are encouraged to officially withdraw from a course as outlined in the section titled “Registration Procedures.” Failure to attend a course will not ensure official withdraw or administrative cancellation of that registration.

There may be financial aid implications for students who are administratively canceled from courses.

Advanced placement test

Capital University recognizes the Advanced Placement (AP) Examination Program of the College Board as an excellent way to earn university credit toward the baccalaureate degree.  Accepted subject areas and minimum scores accepted by the university can be found on the Registrar’s AP equivalency webpage

Adviser, academic


  • Students are ultimately responsible for their academic decisions and actions.
  • Students are responsible for planning their academic program of study, including scheduling and progress toward the degree.
  • Students are responsible for their own academic standing.
  • Students should be knowledgeable about the university catalog/bulletin, WebAdvisor, and policies and procedures concerning university, school, or college academic regulations and degree requirements.
  • Students are responsible for maintaining personal records of academic progress, work, and achievements.
  • Students should be prepared for advisement and scheduling sessions with proper materials and information.
  • Students are responsible in consulting with their adviser in a timely manner, including informing them of changes in their program of study.


Although students are responsible for their academic planning, decisions, and actions, faculty advisers serve as valuable resources for students.

Faculty advisers assist their advisees:

  • in planning their academic program of study;
  • in providing information concerning academic regulations, course requirements, prerequisites, and graduation requirements;
  • by granting approval for students to schedule classes through WebAdvisor, upon a consultation with their advisee;
  • when appropriate by informing advisees of university support services, for example, Academic Success, and Career Development; and
  • by acting as a mentor.

Articulation Agreements

Capital University has entered into a number of Articulation (transfer) Agreements with many of Ohio’s institutions of higher education. Information on these agreements may be obtained from Capital’s Admission Office, Academic Success, or check with the community college near where you live. These agreements provide concise information regarding the transfer of courses to Capital.


Capital University is committed to quality education and student learning. For the purposes of continuous improvement, the University has established a process of outcomes assessment that is focused at the program (or degree) level. Faculty members specify student learning outcomes at the program level, identify the means with which to measure them, and consider the results for making appropriate changes to program delivery. Individual courses are used as “assessment vehicles” in order to collect the information that is necessary to do program outcomes assessment. Overall, outcomes assessment provides both direct measures of student learning outcomes and indirect measures of program effectiveness, as well as student satisfaction. All assessment activities are documented and maintained by the University.

Auditing a course

An auditor is any student enrolled in an undergraduate course for which neither a grade nor credit is granted. The auditor is permitted to attend class but is not required to submit assignments or take examinations. Full-time undergraduate students are permitted to audit up to four (4) credits per term at no extra charge.  The fee for auditing a course is listed in the Financial Information Section of this bulletin.

Enrollment as an auditor is subject to the permission of the instructor. Enrollment in any course as an auditor is permitted only after students eligible to enroll in the course on credit basis have had an opportunity to do so.

Audit status is not convertible to credit status once the form for auditing a course has been completed and submitted to the Registrar’s Office. Likewise, once a student has opted to take a course for credit it cannot be changed to audit status once the class has begun. Students considering this option should consult with their adviser or appropriate academic dean before requesting audit status. Audit forms are available online or from the Registrar’s Office.

Calendar, academic

The traditional undergraduate and adult and continuing education calendar is composed of two 16-week semesters and one 14-week summer session. Some departments may offer courses on a modular basis which is a shortened time span.

The University acknowledges that certain academic courses (e.g., internships, clinical placements, field experiences) require participation before or after the scheduled dates of an academic semester. In such cases, the requirement will be clearly stated in the course syllabus and all pertinent University policies and practices will apply to participation.

Change in grade

Grades that have been submitted to the Registrar by the instructor are final and may not be changed by allowing the student to do additional work (e.g., retaking exams, rewriting papers or other assignments); by any change in class requirements that did not apply to all students enrolled in that particular class; or for any purpose other than (1) to correct a demonstrated error in calculation or recording as provided below; (2) pursuant to a confirmed finding of academic integrity policy violation; or (3) pursuant to a decision in a student academic grievance proceeding as provided in the Undergraduate Student Handbook.

In the event of a possible instructor or administrative error in calculation or recording of a grade, a request for a change in grade should be made on the appropriate form by the instructor to the Provost no later than the end of the last day of classes of the subsequent semester or term. Upon receipt of appropriate documentation from the associate provost, the grade change shall be made by the Registrar.

Change of program

When a student changes from the traditional to the Adult and Continuing Education Program or vice versa, the appropriate “Change of Program” form must be completed. The student must submit the completed form to the Registrar’s Office prior to registration in the new program. Forms are available online, in the Adult and Graduate Education Office or Registrar’s Office.

Class attendance

During the first week of classes the instructor is responsible for outlining policy regarding class attendance. The student’s continuation implies acceptance of the policy as outlined by the instructor. In the event of excessive absence in a course, the student’s grade may be lowered. Regular attendance in all scheduled classes and laboratories is considered a student’s responsibility. If a student never attends a class for which he/she is registered as certified by the instructor, the student may be “administratively canceled” from that class on the basis of non-attendance. As this could significantly impact financial aid awards, it is imperative that courses not being attended be officially dropped by the student.

Class rank

Capital University does not calculate a ranking of its students.

Class standing

For the purpose of classification and registration the following scale is used:

Freshman - 0-29.99 semester hours
Sophomore - 30-59.99 semester hours
Junior - 60-89.99 semester hours
Senior - 90.00+ semester hours

(Note: A minimum of 124 semester hours required for most all degrees for graduation. Hours needed for completion of the bachelor of music degree vary per major. See Conservatory of Music section.)

College-Level Examination Program (CLEP)

(See “Exemption from courses” this section.)


Seniors who wish to participate in the commencement ceremonies as a graduate of Capital University must have met all degree requirements in effect at the time of admission or readmission to the university as a degree candidate. Students graduating in August or December may participate in the following May commencement. Students who wish to participate in commencement ceremonies must have completed ALL degree requirements (coursework, incompletes, official transcripts and any other materials related to the completion of the degree). All students will receive their diplomas at the conclusion of the semester in which they completed all of their degree requirements.

Students must apply for graduation by the following dates: August 15th of the previous year for May; December 15th of the previous year for August; and April 15th of the same year for December.

Civic/Community Engagement Course Designation

Following the guidelines of the Carnegie Foundation, Capital University defines community engagement as the collaboration between institutions of higher education and their larger communities for the mutually beneficial exchange of knowledge and resources in the context of partnership and reciprocity. A Civic/Community-Engaged (CE) class is one that works with a community partner on a challenge or issue identified by the community partner. This can be done as the full focus of the class or as a significant project within a larger curriculum. In CE designated classes, all students must participate in the community engaged project, although what this looks like for each student may vary. Some courses fulfill this more indirectly through research or civic action and less time working directly with a community partner. Some do this through hands-on projects where students spend a significant amount of time at a community partner doing direct service and special projects. The format will depend on the instructor, the community partner, and the nature of the class, discipline and community issue. At least 25% of the course content and assessment focuses on civic and/or community engaged learning. This may include activities that occur in-class, out-of-class and/or in the community.


Course by Contract

Under certain conditions, an instructor may allow a student to enroll in a regularly offered course which is not currently being offered, taught on an individual basis. Registration is for that course, and will carry the course number of the regularly offered course. An appropriate course by contract form must be completed by the instructor and the student.

Credit by examination

(See “Exemption from courses” this section.)


The following degrees are awarded by Capital University:

  • Bachelor of Arts
  • Bachelor of Music
  • Bachelor of Science in Nursing
  • Bachelor of Social Work
  • Juris Doctor                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                               
  • Master of Business Administration
  • Master of Laws in Business
  • Master of Laws in Business and Taxation
  • Master of Laws in Taxation
  • Master of Music in Music Education with a Kodály emphasis
  • Master of Music in Music Education with an Instrumental emphasis
  • Master of Music in Music Education with an Jazz Pedagogy emphasis
  • Master of Science in Nursing
  • Master of Taxation

Joint degree options include a BA/JD*, MBA/JD*, MSN/MBA*, MSN/JD*, and a JD/MSA* (in cooperation with Ohio University) and a JD/MTS and MSN/MTS* (in cooperation with Trinity Lutheran Seminary).

* Information on these degrees is published under separate bulletins.

Degree Candidacy

To be a candidate for a degree, the student must fulfill each of the following:

  1. complete application for graduation at the time specified by the university registrar but no later than one semester prior to the date of the expected graduation;
  2. have met or be registered for all remaining requirements (both for the major(s) and general education requirements) for the degree in the final semester;
  3. have no incompletes on the academic record;
  4. have the sufficient number of semester hours at the time of graduation and at least a minimum of a 2.00 for both the cumulative and major* grade point average at the time of graduation;
  5. have completed all university assessment measures as may be specified by the institution.

Degree requirements

A candidate for an undergraduate degree (B.A., B.M., B.S.N., B.S.W.,) is expected to fulfill the requirements for the degree stated in the university bulletin at the time of admission or readmission to Capital University.

The general requirements for a baccalaureate degree are:

  1. Meet all general education and major(s) requirements. NOTE: Students who previously graduated from Capital University and return to seek an additional degree are not subject to any new general education requirements unless it is a requirement of their current major. Transfer students with completed baccalaureate and/or master’s degrees from regionally accredited colleges or universities are waived from the Capital University general education requirements.
  2. Have a minimum cumulative and major* grade point average of 2.00 and the requisite number of semester hours completed successfully as follows:
    1. B.A. and B.S.W. require a minimum of 124 semester hours.
    2. The number of hours needed for graduation for a B.M. and a B.A. in Music are based upon the major.
    3. There are three tracks through the undergraduate programs in nursing which lead to a BSN.  The Traditional Undergraduate Program is the pre-licensure program for students admitting from high school or transferring from another university.  This program requires a minimum of 124 credit hours.  The C-NAP program is a second degree, pre-licensure program for students returning to complete a BSN after earning a bachelor’s degree in another discipline.  The C-NAP program requires a minimum of 65 credits in addition to credits transferred from the first bachelor’s degree.  The BSN Completion Program is for RN’s returning to complete the BSN degree and requires 124 credit hours.

* Grade point average minimums for majors may vary - see specific major requirements.

  1. For specific details of degree requirements, refer to the appropriate section in this bulletin.
  2. Transfer students must complete at least 12 semester hours in their major at Capital University or 6 semester hours in their minor. Department heads, academic deans or the University Competency Assessment Panel shall determine the applicability of transfer credit for specific major or minor requirements after review of the student’s transcript.
  3. Meet residency requirements. Thirty out of the last 36 semester hours needed to complete the degree must be completed at Capital University. An exception to this policy exists for Capital students studying abroad during their final year.
  4. While persons are available to assist the student in matters related to his/her educational goals, the student bears responsibility in ensuring that all degree requirements are met in order to be eligible for graduation. Faculty advisers, with the department chair (if applicable) and academic dean’s approval, can request waivers or substitutions to alter academic requirements in the major/minor.
  5. Prior to a student’s graduation:
    1. The registrar certifies that (1) the student has the minimum semester hours needed for the degree; (2) the student has a minimum 2.00 cumulative GPA; (3) the completion of the general education requirements; (4) the student meets residency requirements; and (5) all appropriate paper work has been completed.
    2. The respective department chair certifies the completion of all courses for the major(s) and minor(s), including the minimum GPA of the major(s) and minor(s) and such electives as may be needed to complete the degree.

Dismissal, academic

(See “Academic Sanctions” this section.)

Dual-Degree Program

Dual Accelerated Bachelor of Arts/Juris Doctor

Qualified Capital University students may earn a baccalaureate degree and a graduate law degree (J.D.) in six rather than the customary seven years.  A student seeking to complete the accelerated Bachelor of Arts/Juris Doctor may earn a Bachelor of Arts degree in the major and minor of the student’s choice en route to the Juris Doctor.  An eligible student must complete all general education, major and minor requirements for the Bachelor of Arts.  Successful completion of the first 24 hours of graduate credit hours earned at Capital University Law School with the letter grade of C or better may be applied as elective credit toward the Bachelor of Arts degree.  The Bachelor of Arts degree will be conferred after the successful completion of the first 24 hours of law school credit. 

Because a student may earn an accelerated BA in any recognized major or field of study, major and minor requirements for each student will vary according to chosen field of study. The general education core will remain unchanged for students in the accelerated program.

For consideration of admission to the Capital University Law School as part of the accelerated BA/JD program, an eligible student must meet the following requirements:

  • Complete a minimum of 100 semester undergraduate hours.  Sixty semester credit hours must have been earned from Capital University (i.e., transfer credit, credit by-examination, and credit recognized through prior learning may not be counted.)
  • Complete all general education, major, and minor requirements.  Note that the requirements for some courses of study may exceed 100 credit hours.
  • Meet the presumptive requirements for admission to the Capital University Law School, including a specified LSAT score and cumulative GPA.  Contact the Capital University Law School Admission Department for the specific requirements.

An eligible student must apply to Capital University Law School for admission by following the instructions at: http://law.capital.edu/JD Application Instructions.  An interested student should apply during the spring semester of the student’s junior year.

Once matriculated to the Capital University Law School, a student is subject to all Law School policies and procedures, tuition rates, and financial aid awards.  A student may apply for baccalaureate graduation and count up to 24 graduate credit hours earned with a grade of C or better toward undergraduate elective requirements.  If a student discontinues his or her legal education for any reason (e.g., withdrawal, suspension, dismissal) prior to earning the baccalaureate degree, then the student must apply for readmission to the Undergraduate College.  A student who discontinues his or her legal studies may still apply toward undergraduate elective credit any graduate credit hours successfully completed at the Law School.

Dual Engineering

Under this program, designed for students who wish to become professional engineers, students typically attend Capital University for three years, followed by two years at Case Western Reserve University in Cleveland or Washington University in St. Louis. The plan permits the student to earn a Bachelor of Arts degree from Capital and a Bachelor of Science degree from the engineering school. During the years at Capital, the student must complete the general education goal requirements, the requirements of an appropriate major, and certain other courses specified by the engineering school. Consult the Department of Chemistry and Biochemistry or the Department of Mathematics, Computer Science, and Physics for additional information.


Examinations, tests and other evaluative procedures may be given periodically during the semester by the instructor. These may be written, oral, or of a performance type.

Exception to academic policy

Normally, petitions for exceptions to undergraduate academic policy are made to the Office of the Provost. Exception to policy regarding the university general education goal requirements will be coordinated through the Registrar’s Office and directed to the General Education Committee. All petition forms are available in the Registrar’s Office or can be accessed online.

Exemption from courses

  1. Receiving Credit
    There are several ways to secure credit in lieu of registering for the course. Credit earned by these methods may not be applied toward the requisite residence requirement of the university.
    1. American Council on Education. The use of American Council on Education credit can be approved for satisfying general education and major/minor requirements. The acceptability of such credit toward a major or minor requirement resides with the respective department chair or the dean. Credit that does not fulfill any of the above categories will be accepted as “elective credit.”  Students wanting to request an official military transcript should visit the JST (Joint Services Transcript) website at https://jst.doded.mil/official.html.  
    2. Advanced Placement Test (AP) of the College Entrance Examination Board (CEEB). Students can be given advanced placement with credit for the courses on which the tests are taken. Acceptance of this credit toward the major is subject to approval of the college or department. Consult with the Admission Office or the Office of the Registrar.
    3. College-Level Examination Program (CLEP). Students may earn up to a maximum of 27 semester hours of credit toward graduation through CLEP. Per University policy, the maximum credit awarded for each examination is 3.0 semester hours. The College Board charges an $80 fee for each CLEP exam attempted, and each CLEP Testing Center charges an additional administrative fee (typically $20 to $40). Credit will be granted within accordance with the policy in effect at the time the exam is administered. A CLEP exam may not be retaken within a three-month period.  Information regarding the accepted test scores, related equivalencies, and the Columbus vicinity testing centers can be downloaded here (CLEP Examinations ) or forms are also available in the Student Success Office or the Registrar’s Office.  
    4. Career-Technical Credit Transfer (CTAG). The use of CTAG credit can be approved for major/minor requirements. The acceptability of such credit toward a major or minor requirement resides with the respective department chair or the dean. It is the responsibility of the student to submit an official transcript to the Registar’s office for consideration.
    5. Credit by Examination. Currently enrolled students may earn credit by taking an examination in undergraduate courses offered by the university, subject to approval of, and administered by the appropriate academic department or school. Examinations may be taken only once and the student is required to achieve at least a grade of B. Note: Waiver tests may not be taken for courses in which the student is currently enrolled. The registrar will record on the academic record the course title, credit earned and the notation of “P” (pass). Letter grades are not recorded; therefore credit by examination does not affect the grade point average. Credit earned by examination cannot be used to repeat a regularly offered course. A fee of $50 per credit hour (to be paid before the examination) is assessed for the administration of the examination and the recording of the credit on the academic record for currently enrolled students only.
    6. Competency Credit. Capital University recognizes that learning takes place in a variety of environments in addition to the classroom. Many students enter Capital with meaningful and relevant learning from their careers, non-credit courses, training, extracurricular activities and personal experiences. Procedures have been developed to help students acquire academic credit for college-level learning gained through nontraditional means. This procedure involves assembling an extensive and thorough prior learning portfolio describing past learning outcomes and documenting relevant life experiences. The University Competency Assessment Panel (UCAP) reviews these competency statements and determines if academic credit can be awarded. This procedure can be used to fulfill general education goals, course and major course requirements. A UCAP portfolio must be submitted prior to a student’s last term. More detailed information about competency assessment procedures and cost information (see Finance section) can be obtained by downloading a copy of the Guide to Experiential Learning or by visiting the Student Success Office (Harry C. Moores Campus Center.)
    7. Retroactive Credit. There are two specific situations where students may be granted retroactive credit.
      1. A student who places out of the placement exam for languages, which covers Elementary I and II, will receive 8 hours of academic credit (110 and 111) if the student takes Intermediate I (220) in French and Spanish, and passes the course with a grade of C+ or better.
      2. A student who passes Calculus II (231) with a grade of B- or higher will receive 4 hours of academic credit for Calculus I (230).
  2. Proficiency Examination-No credit awarded
    Currently enrolled students may be excused from taking departmental courses or may qualify for enrollment in advanced departmental courses by demonstrating proficiency in the subject matter through proficiency examinations administered by various departments. No credit is given for the successful completion of the proficiency test, but the student is permitted to enroll in an alternate course or to be exempt from a requirement. However, there is no reduction in the total number of semester hours needed to complete the degree.
  3. Waivers, General Education
    Waivers for any of the General Education Goals are determined on the basis of either (1) the student passing the appropriate waiver test and/or (2) approval of transferred coursework from another accredited college or university, or other courses taken at Capital. To substitute coursework, students complete a “General Education (GE) Waiver through Course Completion” form (see General Education Waiver by Course Completion ) which is then submitted to the Student Affairs Office (Harry C. Moores Campus Center, 1st Floor) along with course syllabi and course descriptions for review by the General Education Director.  Students may take a waiver test only once. While a waiver exempts the student from a course, it will not reduce the overall number of credit hours needed for graduation, unless the student successfully passes the appropriate CLEP test (see CLEP Examinations 2018-19 ). Any student changing majors should consult with his/her new academic adviser, Department Chairperson or Associate Provost to be certain that the same General Educational goals are waived with the new major.
  4. International Baccalaureate
    The International Baccalaureate is a recognized classic, general education program. Students may be given credit for courses which have required a final, standardized examination. Acceptance of this credit toward a major is subject to the approval of the college or department. Consult with the admission office or the office of the registrar. The following subject areas and minimum scores are accepted for university credit in the course areas and semester hours as indicated http://www.capital.edu/WorkArea/DownloadAsset.aspx?id=2147484487.

Foreign Language Requirement

Traditional undergraduate programs require study of a language other than English or placement out of two semesters in the same language.  ASL is accepted by some departments. (See each curricular plan for number of semesters) The following programs do not have a language requirement:

  Art Therapy and Studio Art
  • Accounting
  • Marketing
  • Financial Economics
  • Business Management

Emerging Media

Film and Media Production

  Health and Sports Sciences
  •       Athletic Training
  •       Exercise Science
  Nursing BSN
  Public Relations

Social Work


Theatre Studies

  Adult and Continuing Education and Conservatory of Music programs do not require study of a foreign language except Psychology and BM Vocal Performance.

Chemistry, Math, Computer Science and Physics - waiver for 2 years language study in high school

Psychology, Sociology and Criminology - waiver for AP language test with score of 3 or better


General Education - Signature Learning Outcomes

(See specific section, “Signature Learning Goals and Courses,” in this bulletin.) The General Education Waiver by Course Completion  form must be submitted with course syllabi and course descriptions for review by the General Education Director. Information regarding the General Education coursework substitution can be submitted at the Student Affairs Office (CMC Building, 2nd Floor). 

Grades and grading procedures



  A      4.0 quality points
  A-     3.67 quality points
  B+   3.33 quality points
  B     3.0 quality points
  B-      2.67 quality points
  C+     2.33 quality points
  C     2.0 quality points
  C-     1.67 quality points
  D+    1.33 quality points
  D      1.0 quality points
  F       0.0 quality points
  FX    0.0 quality points (due to absence, student did not officially withdraw)
  FI    0.0 quality points (due to violation of university academic integrity standards)


** I Incomplete
** N No report (grade not submitted by instructor)
** P/F    Pass/Fail (F does calculate into GPA)
** W   Withdrawn
** H   Audit
    ** These symbols are not used to determine grade point average.
II. INCOMPLETE - In order to be eligible for an incomplete: 1) the circumstances must be beyond the student’s control, 2) the student must have completed at least two-thirds of the required course, and 3) the request must be made at least one week before the end of the semester. Students are subject to the deadline date, which is noted by the instructor. The policy of the university is that all Incompletes are to be made up within eight weeks of the last day of the term in which the “I” was given. If the deadline date passes, the students will be assigned an “F” for the course. This “F” becomes a permanent grade entry on the academic record and any changes to this grade fall under the “grade change policy.” Students may not turn in additional work after the deadline and convert this “F” to a passing grade. Any extensions to the deadline date must be requested by the instructor to the Registrar in writing before the grade has been converted to “F”.  Students and instructors will receive a reminder notice two weeks prior to the deadline date.
III. NO REPORT - A grade or transcript entry of “N” (grade not submitted by instructor) will be imposed when a final grade is not received by the instructor. The policy of the university is that all No Reports are to be removed within eight weeks of the last day of the term in which the “N” was given. If the deadline date passes, the students will be assigned an “F” for the course. This “F” becomes a permanent grade entry on the academic record and any changes to this grade fall under the “grade change policy.”

IV. “FI” GRADE - A grade of “FI” may be imposed as a sanction by the Academic Integrity Board. The “FI” sanction may be temporary or permanent.


A. TEMPORARY - For a violation of academic integrity, the Academic Integrity Board may impose a sanction of a temporary FI grade/transcript entry with conditions for its removal. The temporary FI will be removed from the student’s record when the student completes the conditions set by the Academic Integrity Board within the deadline set by the Board. When the student completes the conditions, the temporary “FI” is removed and the academic grade given by the instructor of the course will be placed on the student’s transcript and used in the calculation of the GPA. The student may repeat the course for a grade. If the student does not complete the conditions, the sanction will become a permanent FI (see below).

B. PERMANENT - For a violation of academic integrity, the Academic Integrity Board may impose a sanction of a permanent FI grade/transcript entry. The student may repeat the course for a grade, but the “FI” will permanently remain on the transcript and in the calculation of the GPA.

V. PASS/FAIL OPTION - An undergraduate student at Capital University may elect to take on a pass/fail basis, one graded course per academic year (fall semester through summer session).


1. A student is not permitted to use the P/F option when the course is being taken to fulfill a course in the major, minor or general education requirement. Adviser signature is required on the P/F form. Certain prerequisites may be taken P/F as designated by your department. Contact your department chair for further information. A student may take courses that fulfill general education goal requirements as P/F only after the goal requirement has been fulfilled.

2. Exceptions to the policy for majors and minors are determined by the department chair or the academic dean in other undergraduate schools.

3. It is the student’s responsibility to notify the Registrar’s Office when making use of the P/F option. The option can be elected until the last day to drop a course with a W. The decision to take a course on the P/F option cannot be reversed once the form has been submitted to the Registrar’s Office.

4. A “P” is assigned and placed on the academic record by the registrar when the final grade submitted is passing (A-D).

5. If, however, the instructor assigns an F for the course, then the F will stand and be calculated into the student’s grade point average.

6. The P/F option cannot be utilized for a course if it is being taken as a repeat for a previously graded course or previous P/F course.

VI. GRADE POINT AVERAGE - The grade point average is determined by dividing the total number of quality points by the total hours attempted. (Attempted hours = all courses taken on letter-graded basis at Capital.) Grade point averages are used to determine academic status. (See also “Probation,” “Academic Distinction,” “Graduation honors,” and “Transfer of credit.”)
VII. GRADE REPORTS - Final grade reports are available at the end of each term. Reports of progress during the first year are given at week four and are available via WebAdvisor. Copies of final grade reports and reports of academic status are available via WebAdvisor.

Graduation honors

Honors are entered on the student’s academic record at the time of graduation in accordance with the following guidelines which are based on the grade point average earned at Capital:

3.50-3.69     cum laude
3.70-3.849   magna cum laude
3.85-4.00     summa cum laude

To be eligible for honors, the candidate MUST complete a minimum of 45 semester hours of letter-graded courses at Capital University.

HECC-Higher Education Council of Columbus

(See “Registration Procedures”- Cross Registration” this section.)

Individual Studies and Selected Topics

Capital University, in recognizing the need to offer students the opportunity for study in areas not covered in regular course offerings, makes available the following options:

Individual Study (491) - Individual study and/or research is available to qualified students with a special interest in areas not covered by regular course work, or who wish to do advanced work in specific areas included in courses. Credit earned in such a course is usually one, two or three semester hours. Prerequisite: written approval of supervising instructor, subject to established departmental or school policies. An individual study course may not be used as a substitute for a regularly offered course of the university. Approval of the supervising instructor and department chair and associate provost is required before enrolling for a 491. Students must complete the Individual Study Form available from the Office of the Registrar.

No more than 30 semester hours of individual study may be used to complete degree requirements.

Selected Topics (193, 293, 393, 493) - New and different topics are offered periodically. The course is individually designed by the department or school and has stated class meetings and times. A topic may be offered only once as a selected topics course. Approval of the course must be submitted in writing to the registrar by the appropriate department head and associate provost. Subsequent offerings of the same selected topic are subject to the approval of the Curriculum Committee of the College.  Credit is normally three semester hours. Entry into the class is subject to established departmental or school policies. When offering a selected topics course, the department determines the course level. Courses are numbered to designate the level of students for which they have been designed, i.e., 193 first year level, 293 sophomore level, 393 junior level, and 493 senior level.


Many departments offer internship possibilities within the Columbus community for their students. Another internship opportunity is available in Washington, D.C.  Students may receive a full semester’s credit by participating in an internship arranged by the Washington Center. Internships are available at entry-level positions in many different agencies. For more information, contact the Department of History or the department head for the specific major.

Leave of Absence

A leave of absence may be granted to a student who wishes to interrupt, but not permanently discontinue, enrollment at Capital University. Leaves of up to one academic year may be granted including transient work. Requests must be approved by the Student Success Office and submitted to the Office of the Registrar. A leave of absence allows a student to return without the necessity of re-applying. A student on an approved Leave of Absence returns to Capital under the same bulletin requirements for which they originally entered.

Students may also need to take a leave of absence from the institution due to multiple reasons (which include personal, medical, financial, religious, military, family, work-related). A student may take a leave of absence from Capital University for up to one year. Leave of absences are granted to a student who wishes to interrupt, but not permanently discontinue, enrollment at Capital. To be eligible for a leave, a student must be in good academic, financial, and disciplinary standing. Students who have been dismissed from the University are not eligible to request a leave of absence.

If the leave of absence is requested after a term begins but before the end of the ninth week of classes for traditional students, the student will receive a notation of W (for withdrawal from the course) on the academic record. For students enrolled in the Adult and Continuing Education Program, or for an eight-week modular course or a summer session, a notation of W is recorded up through the end of the mid-point of the term. There may be financial aid implications for a student requesting a leave of absence. Please check with the financial aid office to determine any implications.

In the semester preceding their return to the University, students on leaves of absence will be eligible to participate in such procedures as registration for classes.

If a student wants to withdraw from the university and not return, please see “Withdrawal from the University” section of this bulletin.

Major, academic

Normally, a major should be elected by the fourth semester. Usually, students enrolled in a music major or nursing declare their major upon entrance. In all cases, the student is assigned an adviser to assist in planning the academic program. The student is advised to meet regularly with the adviser relative to academic progress. There are special requirements for acceptance into the departments of education, social work, music, and nursing. A minimum grade point average of 2.00 is needed in the major for graduation purposes unless otherwise stated by the major department or college. A minimum of 12 semester hours for each major and 6 hours for each minor must be taken in residence at Capital University. (See also “Waivers, Assessment,” this section.)

Majors, additional

Current students or students possessing an undergraduate degree from Capital University and wishing to complete requirements for additional major(s) in the same degree area are required to complete the requirements for each major as specified by the respective department. Any credit toward the major for transfer work is determined by the appropriate school department head. (See also “Degree requirements” this section.)

Major, change

Students must complete a major-minor declaration form available on-line or in the Registrar’s office. Students must satisfy all required general education goals not fulfilled by a new major. General education goals fulfilled by a previous or dropped major do not continue to be fulfilled when a major is changed. Student Success must be contacted for any exceptions on fulfilling general education goals.

Minor, academic

Various departments or areas offer minors. A minor may be satisfactorily completed upon achieving a minimum cumulative grade point average of 2.00 in those courses used to meet the requirements of the minor. A minimum of 6 semester hours for each minor must be taken in residence at Capital University.

Non-Degree enrollment

An individual wishing to enroll in the university for the first time as an undergraduate non-degree student must apply through the Admission Office. (See Financial Information section for non-degree application fee.) Note: If a non-degree student wishes, at any time, to change status to degree, he or she must apply through the Admission Office or the Adult and Graduate Education Office and be accepted to the university. The student is subject to the policies, regulations and degree requirements in place at the time of matriculation into the university as a DEGREE-SEEKING student.

Overload charge

(See “Registration procedures” this section.)

Plagiarism policy

(See “Academic Integrity” this section and refer to Student Handbook.)

Pre-Professional programs

Capital University offers pre-professional programs in conjunction with a regular undergraduate major for students anticipating a career in dentistry, law, medicine, pharmacy, theology, veterinary medicine or in several pre-paramedical programs. Students are encouraged to consult the section on “Additional Programs and Courses of Study” in this bulletin.


Prerequisites, where applicable, appear at the end of each course description. A student may not enroll for a class in which the prerequisite has not been met without the written prior approval of the instructor.

Probation, academic

(See “Academic Sanctions” this section.)


The student who has been absent from the university for a semester or longer must apply to the registrar for readmission. Also, if a student formally withdraws from the university during a term, the student must apply for readmission for any subsequent term.

Readmission must be approved by the registrar in consultation with the Dean of Studies and is subject to clearance from the Finance Office.  Students applying for readmission who are on disciplinary probation or have been suspended must have the approval of the Dean of Studies. Individuals who have been dismissed from the university must also have the approval of the Provost. The readmission process must be completed prior to the first day of classes in which the student wishes to re-enroll.  Readmission into the nursing department is selective and based on space availability. Students are subject to the degree requirements in effect at the time of readmission.

In accordance with federal regulations, 34 C.F.R. § 668.18 and the Department of Defense (DoD) Voluntary Education Partnership Memorandum of Understanding (MOU), Capital University will promptly readmit service members who seek readmission to a program that was interrupted due to a uniformed service obligation. A student is eligible for readmission under this policy if, during an absence, the student performs uniformed service, voluntary or involuntary, in the Armed Forces, including the National Guard or Reserve, active duty, active duty for training or full-time National Guard (under federal authority). The cumulative length of all absences for uniformed service (service time only) must not exceed five years.

Degree-seeking Capital students who have completed the Transient Student Application form to take course work at another institution for a specific term are not required to complete an application for readmission. This holds true provided the student returns the semester following the term (excluding summer terms) the transient work was taken.

Any readmitted students (not possessing a Capital degree) are subject to the current general education goals of the university curriculum unless otherwise specified by the academic dean. The applicability of courses previously taken at Capital under a different set of requirements toward the current general education goal requirements are determined by the registrar.

The university follows the requirements of the Department of Education for readmitting service members and reservists, whose attendance was disrupted due to service requirements, to the same academic status as when the service members was last attending or accepted for admission.

Registration procedures

Registration, readmission, issuance of final grades and transcripts, evaluation of transfer credit, veterans’ matters and other matters relative to the student’s academic record are handled through the Registrar’s Office.

Most correspondence from the Registrar’s Office is sent to the student’s Capital e-mail account (assigned to all students). Other information is made available via WebAdvisor. A student can use their user name and password to access their class schedules, grades and other pertinent information.

A traditional undergraduate’s schedule of classes is considered final only when approved by the academic adviser and has been entered by the student via WebAdvisor. A student is encouraged to verify the information was received by checking their class schedule on WebAdvisor.

In cases where a student is closed out of a course because it has reached maximum enrollment, written permission must be obtained from the instructor of that specific course before enrollment is permitted. The student can also consult with his or her academic adviser for alternative courses or assistance.

I.  Change in Registration Add / Drop

  1. Add/Enrollment Policy:  Students are permitted to add classes (or register for initial classes) during the first week of the semester. (A module course is able to be added during the first two days of the module.) Students wishing to add classes or register during the second week of the semester are required to obtain the signature of their instructor and submit the proper signatures to the Registrar’s Office. To avoid a late registration fee all classes must be added no later than the second week of the semester. Students wishing to add classes after the second week must be approved by the University Registrar. Students must obtain their instructor and adviser signatures before seeking Registrar approval. Any students adding classes after the second week will be charged a late fee per course according to university guidelines.
  2. Drop/Withdrawal Policy:  A student who wishes to withdraw from the university must meet with the Student Success Office to complete the official withdrawal process. If the withdrawal is approved, the student’s grade report and transcript will reflect the university withdrawal by recording all W’s for that semester. The date of withdrawal is the last date of class attendance.   Any applicable refunds are based on this date. Students who completely withdraw from school may lose a semester of financial aid eligibility or be required to pay back a portion of any financial aid received. Therefore, it is extremely important that students consult with the financial aid office before withdrawing from classes.
  • A course drop/withdrawal is permitted up to and during the first two weeks of a semester, or the first four days of a modular course, or of either summer session, a student may drop a course(s) without notation made on the academic record via WebAdvisor. Access to drop courses via WebAdvisor will be closed after the completion of the second week of the semester. If a student’s effective drop date is during the first two weeks of the semester, it is the student’s responsibility to ensure that his/her drop is entered through WebAdvisor.
  • At the end of the DROP period and continuing through the end of the ninth week of classes, a student may drop a course and receive a notation of W (for withdrawal from the course) on the academic record. After the DROP period, the instructor must sign and state last date of class attendance. The Change of Registration form, which has been signed and dated by the student and student’s adviser, is then submitted to the Registrar’s Office. The Registrar’s Office will use the last date of class attended or the first day of the third week, whichever is later. For students enrolled in the Adult and Continuing Education program, or for an eight-week modular course or a summer session, a notation of W is recorded up through the end of the midpoint of the term. Any course dropped after the conclusion of the course withdrawal period results in a grade of F unless overruled by the student’s academic dean. Consult the registrar or instructor for specific deadline dates. If a student has attended the first two weeks and submits a Change of Registration form after the two-week drop period, it will not be backdated to receive a full refund and be dated the third week of the semester.
  • The drop from a course(s) is not considered official until the dated and signed form is returned to the Registrar’s Office. Any refund is based on the specific date a course is dropped, as stated in Financial Information Section of this bulletin.

*Please note that the specific date a student last attended a class is the official drop date for the course. The date must be noted on the Change of Registration form and so verified by the required signatures on this form.
*Students must complete the withdrawal/drop process as defined by Capital University’s Change of Registration Policy; however, students may be withdrawn/dropped because of non-attendance or by phone conversations. A student’s enrollment status as of the last day of the semester will be considered official. Any student who wishes to appeal his/her drop date must do so within thirty days after completion of the semester in question. A STUDENT WHO HAS BEGUN ATTENDING A COURSE WILL REMAIN REGISTERED UNLESS THAT COURSE IS OFFICIALLY DROPPED AND THUS REMAIN OBLIGATED FOR FEES. (See also Withdrawal from University.)


A student is considered full-time when enrolled for at least 12 semester hours. Students carrying a 12-semester-hour load over a period of eight semesters would not be able to complete requirements in four academic years, unless the remaining credit was earned by some other means. Students enrolled in the professional education semester are subject to enrollment limitations as determined by the education department. For students who drop below a full-time load, financial aid may be affected. (See section on “Financial Aid.”)


Students enrolling for more than 18 semester hours pay an additional overload fee per semester hour. Students who wish to take more than 21 hours will need to get their adviser and dean’s approval prior to enrolling for the term. (Consult “Financial Information” section for additional information on overload fees.) Conservatory students may wish to consult the “Financial Information” section for information on fees for applied music lessons.


No registration is permitted after the tenth day of a semester or second day of a module or summer session unless approved by the adviser, appropriate instructor, academic dean and Provost. 

Any student who registers after the end of the second week of the semester will incur a late registration fee and will be required to make full payment of tuition and fees before the registration can be processed.

V.  PRE-REGISTRATION DEPOSIT  (See section entitled “Financial Information.”)


The Higher Education Council of Columbus (HECC) is an association of nine Franklin County colleges and universities established to develop programs that benefit its member institutions and the community-at-large. As a service to students, the HECC member institutions have approved a system of cross-registration at the following colleges and universities:

  - Capital University               
  - Central Ohio Technical College                 - Ohio Dominican University
  - The Columbus College of Art & Design                 - The Ohio State University
  - Columbus State Community College                 - Otterbein University
  - DeVry University                 -Pontifical College Josephinum
  - Franklin University  

The primary objective of cross-registration is curriculum enrichment: a student is able to be exposed to an area of study unavailable at his/her home campus without having to go through the more involved steps of admission to another institution as a transient or part-time student.

If the conditions listed below apply, a Capital student can enroll in a course that is offered at one of these several institutions.

To be eligible for enrollment in the HECC program, the student must:

  1. be a full-time undergraduate at Capital prior to cross-registration.
  2. be in good standing (2.00 GPA or better).
  3. have written approval of adviser and registrar.

Further Guidelines:

  1. A course taken through HECC cannot be a course that is not offered at Capital during that current term.
  2. Students are limited to one cross-registration course per term and three cross-registered courses per lifetime.
  3. Enrollment in a host institution HECC course is on a space-available basis and that the institution determines which courses are closed to the cross-registrant.
  4. Student agrees to abide by all rules, regulations and policies of the other institution. Capital’s rules, regulations and policy do not apply to the other institution. In addition, it is the student’s responsibility to make certain that the other HECC institution’s calendar, course schedule, course content and credit are compatible with his/her goals and Capital’s degree requirements.
  5. Summer term will not be available for cross-registration.
  6. Registration-Obtain the appropriate registration form and further details from the Registrar’s Office at Capital University.
  7. Costs-No additional tuition is charged unless the HECC course places the student into an overload. In such cases the student will pay the normal overload fee (See Financial Information for details). Also, the host institution may charge other related fees such as laboratory and parking fees.
  8. Grading policies for HECC courses are as follows: The Capital University Registrar’s Office will receive the grade for the course from the host institution and enter it on the student’s Capital transcript, along with grades for other currently enrolled courses. The grade is included in the GPA. (The student will not receive a grade from the host institution.) All credit taken at a host institution that is on the quarter-hour system will be converted to semester hours.
  9. Dropping a HECC course-
    1. The drop deadline of the host institution must be met to avoid failing the course. The drop is not considered accomplished until Capital receives the pink copy of the HECC Drop Form from the host institution. The pink copy confirms that the student completed the drop process at the host institution. It is the student’s responsibility to assure that the Office of the Registrar at Capital has received the pink copy.
    2. Obtain a HECC Drop Form from Capital signed by Capital’s Registrar and deliver the form in person to the host institution for approval.


Traditional students who wish to enroll in an adult program course are limited to one course per semester. Both the course instructor and the student’s adviser must approve the registration. Students who wish to enroll in more than two courses per academic year may petition for an exception to policy. Approval forms are available from the Registrar’s Office and must be submitted with the term registration.

Repeating courses

Generally, all courses taken at Capital University can be repeated at Capital, regardless of the grade earned. However, credit is granted only once, with the most recent grade being the one calculated into the GPA. There is no limit on the number of times a student can repeat a course, with four exceptions: 1) if a department and/or school has its own policy regarding repeat courses, 2) if it is a specific course that can be taken repeatedly for credit, 3) the P/F option cannot be utilized for a repeated course, and 4) if a student receives a permanent “FI” (F given for a violation of academic integrity), he/she may repeat the course for a grade, but the “FI” will remain on the transcript and permanently remain in the calculation of the GPA.

Only currently offered courses may be repeated and a student may not use a 491 (individual study) course to repeat a regularly offered course.

(See “Transient student” this section.)

Residency requirements

(See “Degree requirements” this section.)

ROTC, Air Force

Department of Air Force Aerospace Studies

353 Converse Hall, 2121 Tuttle Park Place, Columbus, OH 43210
Email: afrotc@osu.edu Website: http://afrotc.osu.edu/
Department of Aerospace Studies at 614-292-5441/9508.

Qualified students interested in obtaining an officer’s commission in the Air Force may enroll in Air Force ROTC classes through an agreement between Capital University and the Ohio State University’s ROTC program. All classes and activities are conducted at the Ohio State University main campus in Columbus.

The first two years of enrollment (first year/sophomore) is the General Military Course (GMC), which includes a two-hour class on officership, communication, aerospace doctrine and history of military aviation. There is no obligation to serve in the military for non-scholarship cadets for the first two years. The last two years (junior/senior) is a four-hour class in the Professional Officer Course (POC) dealing with leadership, management, supervision, communication skills and national defense policy. Air Force ROTC cadets also attend a two-hour leadership laboratory period each week and participate in two hours of physical fitness training. A cadet must complete two academic years in the POC to be eligible for a commission.

Air Force ROTC offers two, three, and four-year scholarships. The four-year scholarship is applied for during the senior year in high school. Three scholarships are offered to qualified men and women in college. The benefits provided by scholarships may include full payment of tuition, $900 book stipend per year, and a tax-free allowance up to $500 per month.

More information on Air Force ROTC classes or scholarships can be obtained by calling the Department of Aerospace Studies at 614-292-5441/9508.

ROTC, Army (Reserve Officers’ Training Corps)

Troutman Hall, Capital University

Email: joinrotc@capital.edu,Phone: (614) 236-7114/6808

Capital University is designated as one of 273 host Army ROTC programs in the United States. Army ROTC is one of the most demanding and successful leadership programs in the country.  The training a student receives in Army ROTC teaches leadership development, military skills and career training. Courses take place both in the classroom and in the field and are mixed with normal academic studies. Additional summer programs, such as Airborne and Air Assault School, may also be attended.

Interested students in their freshman or sophomore at Capital University can start by taking an Army ROTC basic elective course without obligation or military commitment.   If a student has at least two or more years remaining toward their undergraduate degree, but not enough time to complete the Basic Course, the student can enter the Army ROTC Advanced Course by completing the Leader’s Training Course held at Fort Knox, Kentucky, during the summer between the sophomore and junior year.   This course is for those college students who want to complete Army ROTC training in two years.  To qualify, a student must complete a challenging and motivating 28-day training program at Fort Knox, Kentucky.   Upon completion of the Leader’s Training Course, graduates return to campus prepared to enter the Advanced Course.

The Advanced Course consists of the classes and labs during the junior and senior year and successful completion of the National Leadership and Development Assessment Course.  

Capital University also fully supports the Simultaneous Membership Program which allows students to participate in Army ROTC and serve in the U.S. Army Reserve or Army National Guard at the same time. It gives students an opportunity for additional training and experience. Cadets serve as Officer Trainees in the Reserve or National Guard while completing college.

Capital University Army ROTC and the University Nursing Program are also recognized as Partners in Nursing Education.   Army ROTC nursing students combine college electives in military science and invaluable nurse summer training experiences with their standard nursing program requirements.  This helps develop professional skill sets required to serve an active duty nurse or a Reserve Officer working in a civilian hospital upon graduation.

The Office of Military Science (Army) provides ROTC and scholarship opportunities for Capital students. Students are encouraged to contact this office (614-236-7114) for additional information.

Statute of limitations

Students are expected to complete all degree requirements within a 10-year period from the date of formal degree admission to the university; otherwise, the student’s degree program shall be reviewed by the appropriate academic dean to determine its applicability toward the degree being sought.

Study abroad

Study abroad is a way to enhance any academic major. Students have an opportunity to develop intercultural competency, develop foreign language skills and study a subject from different cultural perspectives. To be eligible to participate in study abroad at Capital, students must meet the following criteria:

  1. A university G.P.A. of a 2.5 or higher (note, some programs have a higher G.P.A. requirement.)
  2. Meet a Dean of Student’s clearance; demonstrating a positive disciplinary record.
  3. Completion of at least one semester at Capital University.  (First semester students may participate in a short-term faculty/coach led program upon clearance of faculty leader.)

Please note that study abroad programs must be in locations not on the U.S. State Department Travel warning list.

Students who wish to apply for study-abroad programs need to complete the following procedures:

  1. Complete the Capital University Study Abroad Approval form.
  2. Submit a signed Study Abroad Course Approval form to the Center for Global Education posted deadline dates(first Monday in April for summer and fall programs and first Monday in November for spring programs.)
  3. Submit a budget worksheet to the Financial Aid Office by the same deadlines as the Course Approval Form.
  4. Register for appropriate Capital University study abroad credits for the term of study abroad.

Study abroad forms and steps are located at http://www.capital.edu/Study-Abroad/.

All credits will be recorded on a pass/fail basis. Pass credit will be granted on a semester-equivalent basis for courses successfully completed with a grade of D or better. Pass credits earned from non-Capital-hosted programs will not be computed into the GPA. Any F’s received are counted into the GPA. Grades earned from Capital University’s program in Hungary, Capital University’ Intercultural Student Teaching, and Capital University’s nursing and social work exchange programs will be computed into the GPA. All official transcripts must be submitted to the Registrar’s Office by mid-semester following the study abroad experience. Transcripts due October 15 (study abroad taken in spring) or March 15 (study abroad taken in fall).

Capital University hosted or exchange programs include the Capital Music Program in Hungary, Nursing exchanges in Sweden, Social Work exchange in Sweden, and Capital University’s Music Exchange in Dresden, Germany, and Capital University’s Intercultural Student Teaching Program.

For more information on current program offerings, International Education Office is located: 014 Harry C. Moores Student Union (near the Capital University Mail Room).

Study at other institutions

(See “Transient student,” this section.)

Suspension, academic

(See “Academic Sanctions,” this section)

Teacher licensure

(See Education in this bulletin.)

Transcript of credit

The first official transcript of credit is furnished, at no charge, to each student upon written request. There is an additional charge for all additional transcripts. The request for the transcript(s) should be made to the registrar at least one week prior to the need for this document(s). All accounts must be paid before a transcript is issued. Please allow a minimum of four working days for preparation and issuance of official transcripts. There is an additional charge for same-day, in-person services.

In keeping with the Family Educational Rights and Privacy Act (1974), official transcripts may be sent to the student or to any one designated by the student and are not released without written permission of the student.

Unofficial copies of the academic record are issued only to students currently enrolled or at the request of the student’s adviser. Please allow a minimum of one working day for preparations of the unofficial record.

Students on scholarships may occasionally need an official copy of their transcripts. The fee will be waived upon presentation of a statement from the agency awarding the scholarship that a transcript is needed.

(See also “Academic record” this section.)

Transfer of credit

A student who has attended other regionally accredited colleges or universities must submit to Capital University Admission Office an official transcript for each institution attended. Students seeking admission into the Adult and Graduate program will submit their transcripts to their Admission Counselor. A student may transfer credit to Capital University according to the following conditions:

  1. The institution previously attended must be regionally accredited (or course work completed within two years of the institution’s accreditation) by the appropriate regional accrediting agency.
  2. Credit will be granted on a semester-equivalent basis for courses successfully completed with a grade of C- or better, unless the student has received an associates or bachelor’s degree at that institution. In those cases, all courses (D or higher) going toward the degree shall transfer. Transfer credit may fulfill a general education goal or major/minor requirement provided it is equivalent to at least two semester hours of credit. Grades earned at other institutions are not included in computing the grade point average at Capital University.
  3. Faculty policy governs how transferred course work will apply to general education goals. When a determination is not able to be made due to lack of sufficient information, the student may be required to provide the General Education Director (Student Success Office) with additional materials to make a determination. If, after submitting an official transcript for any transfer courses to the Registrar, a student seeks transfer credit for additional General Education courses, he or she should contact Student Success Office (Harry C. Moores Campus Center) for information about submitting a ‘General Education (GE) Waiver’ form. Transfer students with completed baccalaureate and/or master’s degrees from regionally accredited colleges or universities are waived from the Capital University general education requirements.  Students who earn an associate degree from a regionally accredited institution and complete the general education requirements outlined in the Ohio Transfer Module* are presumed to have met Capital University’s general education goals with the exception of the goals for Religion and Ethical Thought.

    *The Ohio Transfer Module contains 54-60 quarter hours or 36-40 semester hours of course credit in English composition (minimum 5-6 quarter hours or 3 semester hours); mathematics, statistics and formal/symbolic logic (minimum of 3 quarter hours or 3 semester hours); arts/humanities (minimum 9 quarter hours or 6 semester hours); social and behavioral sciences (minimum of 9 quarter hours or 6 semester hours); and natural sciences (minimum 9 quarter hours or 6 semester hours). Oral communication and interdisciplinary areas may be included as additional options. Additional elective hours from among these areas make up the total hours for a completed Transfer Module. Courses for the Transfer Module should be 100- and 200-level general education courses commonly completed in the first two years of a student’s residency. Students completing a technical associate degree may complete the transfer module, but will likely have to take additional general education courses beyond those required for the applied associate degree. Alternatively students may transfer individual transfer module courses without completing the entire module (http://regents.ohio.gov/transfer/policy/transfer_policy_d2aa.php).

  4. Consistent with university policy, credit may be awarded for programs completed in Armed Services “Service Schools” or non-military training programs as reviewed and evaluated by the American Council on Education. (See also “Exemption from courses.”) Applicability of transfer credit toward the major requirements are determined by the specific major department or school. Under unusual circumstances, Capital University reserves the right to deny the transfer of credit from colleges or universities. “Remedial” and “Developmental” course work are included in this category and will not receive credit. If credit is denied, the student may petition the dean in which the student is enrolled or consult with personnel.
  5. Graduate credit is not applicable toward an undergraduate degree.
  6. For credit earned via Advanced Placement and CLEP see “Exemption from courses” this section.
  7. Student must be enrolled at Capital as a degree-seeking student.
  8. Students intending to enroll in courses at another institution while enrolled at Capital, and desiring to transfer such work to Capital in fulfillment of requirements, are referred to “Transient Student” and “Registration Procedures-cross registration” this section.
  9. All transcripts submitted become the property of Capital University and may not be released without the written authorization of the institutions that sent the transcripts.
  10. Courses completed for which the standard of credit is continuing education unit (C.E.U.) are not eligible for consideration as transfer credit.

CAVEAT EMPTOR: While this section attempts to identify all factors in the transfer evaluation process, it is possible that policies found in other sections of this bulletin (e.g., “Exemption from Courses”) may govern the transfer of credit. See the Registrar’s Office for any questions regarding transfer evaluations.

Transient student

Degree-seeking students at Capital may take courses at regionally accredited collegiate institutions provided that prior approval is granted by Capital University by completing a transient form. Courses in which the student received a C- or higher will be posted on the academic record with the appropriate credits. Courses in which the student received lower than a C- will not receive credit. Credits earned through transient work count toward total credit requirements but the course grades are not figured into the official GPA. Applications for transient status are available in the Registrar’s Office. Transient students are not required to complete an application for readmission provided they return to Capital within a semester or trimester of completing their transient work.

Note: Credit will not be granted for courses of “like content” taken at another institution on a transient basis if credit for the course already has been awarded at Capital. When a student fails a course at Capital and then takes a course of “like content” as a transient student, he or she will receive credit provided the grade is a C- or higher. Any grade earned at another institution will not replace the failed grade at Capital or affect the student’s grade point average.

Veterans benefits

Students who qualify for Veterans Education Benefits should inquire at the Veterans Certifying Official, located in the Yochum Hall. It is the veteran’s responsibility to notify the Certifying Official when certification to the V.A. is desired and when changes occur that affect payment of benefits. The Veterans Certifying Official is obligated to notify the V.A. when a veteran fails to meet the minimum standards of progress as set forth by the Veterans Administration.

Withdrawal from the University


  1. A student who wishes to withdraw from the university must meet with someone in the Student Success Office to complete the official withdrawal process. If the withdrawal is approved, the student’s grade report and transcript will reflect the university withdrawal by recording all W’s for that semester. The date of withdrawal is the last date of class attendance as verified by the Student Success Office. Any applicable refunds are based on this date. Students who completely withdraw from school may lose a semester of financial aid eligibility or be required to pay back a portion of any financial aid received. Therefore, it is extremely important that students consult with the financial aid office before withdrawing from classes.

  2. A student who wishes to withdraw from the university during the term must secure the appropriate form from the Student Success Office. As part of the withdrawal process, students are required to meet with and attain appropriate signatures from the Student Success Office. If the student is receiving financial aid, it is essential that the student also meet with the financial aid officer or Perkins/NSL coordinator for an exit interview. A withdrawal is not official until the signed and dated withdrawal form is returned to the Registrar’s Office prior to the start of final examinations. This action of withdrawal is recorded on the academic record as follows for semester-long courses:

    1. A notation of W will be noted (for each course) on the academic record. It should be noted that once a student has attended any classes and then withdraws from the university, the academic record will reflect a W for all enrolled classes.
    2. Withdrawal from the university will not negate the action of suspension or dismissal from the college or university.
  3. A notation of W is not used in computing grade point averages but may be used in determining eligibility for readmission. (See also “Grading” and “Registration Procedures - change in registration” this section.)
  5. The official withdrawal date from the university is based on the date of the last class attended. Any refund, if applicable, will be based on that date.
  6. If a student needs to withdraw from the university during the term due to military call-up, the student will be deleted from his/her courses and will not be required to apply for readmission upon return, provided it is within an academic year. Proof of military call-up needs to be provided to the Office of the Registrar. Note: For specific withdrawal date information for any term, consult the Registrar’s Detailed Academic Calendar at http://www.capital.edu/Registrar/ or by calling the Registrar’s Office at (614/236-6150).