Sep 26, 2020  
2018-19 Graduate Bulletin 
2018-19 Graduate Bulletin [ARCHIVED BULLETIN]

Academic Policies and Procedures

Academic Calendar

The academic calendar for Masters of Education, Masters of Music, Graduate Nursing Programs follow the same schedule as Capital University in Bexley.  The Masters of Business AdministrationTrinity Lutheran Seminary and The Law School follow different academic calendars. Capital University’s academic calendars can be found here.


The student will be responsible for:

  • Their academic decisions and actions.
  • Planning their academic program of study, including scheduling and progress toward the degree.
  • Their academic standing.
  • Being knowledgeable about the Graduate Bulletin, WebAdvisor, and policies and procedures concerning university or program regulations and degree requirements.
  • Maintaining personal records of academic progress, work and achievements.
  • Being prepared for academic advising sessions with all necessary materials.
  • Consulting with their advisor in a timely manner.
The Academic Advisor will be responsible for:
  • Assisting in the planning of the academic program of study.
  • Assisting in providing information concerning academic regulations, course requirements, prerequisites, and graduation requirements.
  • Acting as a mentor.

Academic Probation and Dismissal

A cumulative GPA of 3.0 or better is required for a student to remain in good academic standing. The first time a student’s semester grade falls below 3.0, the student will be placed on academic probation. If a student has a second semester in which the cumulative GPA falls below 3.0, the student may be dismissed. 

Adding / Dropping Courses

To add or drop a course, you must complete the “Change of Registration” form, available at the Registrar’s Office.  The form must be signed by you, your advisor, and the Department Chair. If the semester has begun, the signature of the professor of the course you are dropping, as well as the last date you attended class are also needed. 

When a course is dropped, the amount of tuition due to the University is determined by the date of the last class attended. Note: The refund schedule for, which changes every term, is posted on the Graduate Programs Bulletin Board and online.

Any payment or credits that exceed the amount of charges and tuition due are refunded by the University within 30 days of the student’s written request to the Finance Office. Otherwise, the student’s account is credited toward the next semester’s tuition fees.

Courses may be added through the end of the first week of class. Additions after the first week of classes require signatures of the Professor, your Advisor, and the Department Chair on the add/drop slip.

Courses dropped after the first week of a full term and the first week of a modular term appear as a withdrawal on the academic transcript and do not affect a student’s GPA. 

All questions about adding/dropping courses should be directed to the Registrar’s Office by calling 614-236-6150 or via email All financial questions about tuition and fees should be directed to the Director of Student Accounts in the Finance Office in Yochum Hall (614-236-6631).


Admission to any of the graduate education programs is open to candidates who give evidence of intellectual application, appropriate academic and/or teaching experiences and personal suitability for pursuing graduate studies. Such suitability includes a combination of ability, maturity, motivation, character and commitment. Qualified students are admitted regardless of race, color, religion, sex and gender, age, disability, national and ethnic origin, sexual orientation, veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by law.

All required materials are listed on the individual web pages for the respective programs. Applications are reviewed in a timely manner and render decisions based on the criteria stated above, and may request a meeting with the applicant. Inquiries regarding admissions procedures should be directed to the Director of Graduate Education Recruitment.

Academic Integrity

Graduate students are expected to be honest in their academic endeavors and submit their own work for academic evaluation. Students may be dismissed for a breach of academic or professional integrity, including but not limited to cheating, plagiarism, falsification of data, commission of acts which jeopardize the welfare of clients and behavior inconsistent with professional standards. Plagiarism is defined as meeting any academic requirements in part or in full by presenting the work, ideas, or writing of another as ones own. 


Each program or professor has their own attendance policy. Students who stop attending, but do not drop the class will be charged full tuition and reported to the Office of Student Success. Validation of attendance is requested from various sponsoring agents such as the U.S. Armed Forces. Those who register, stop attending, but do not drop the class will be charged full tuition. Capital University attendance policy can be found here.

Course Load

Students may enroll full or part-time. Refer to specific graduate programs for detailed information regarding course load.

Disabilities Services

Capital University welcomes students with disabilities to be an integral part of the educational community. Our mission is to coordinate support services and accommodations for students with disabilities to ensure equal educational opportunities and equal access to university life. The Office of Disability Services (ODS) seeks to make reasonable accommodations for students with disabilities through appropriate modification of educational procedures and methods used to assess student performance. Students with disabilities who wish to receive assistance from the ODS are responsible for disclosing their disability to the ODS. Students should use the following steps as a guideline for requesting services: (a) complete the Student Request for Accommodations form; (b) submit a Certificate of Professional Authority completed by a qualified evaluator, accompanied by supporting records; and (c) arrange an appointment with the Disability Services Coordinator.

The aforementioned forms can be located in the ODS or online at  The Disability Services Office is located in the Ruff Learning Center (room 111) and may be reached by telephone (614.236.6611) or by e-mail (


Each respective academic department reserves the right to dismiss any student at any time for good cause. Notification of dismissal is sent in writing from the Office of the Department Chair.

Non-Discrimination Policy

Capital University does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, national and ethnic origin, sexual orientation, religion, sex and gender, age, disability, or veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by law, in administration of its programs and activities or employment. The following person has been designated to handle inquiries regarding the non-discrimination policy: University Counsel, 210 Yochum Hall, 614-236-6408. For further information on the notice of non-discrimination visit for the address and phone number of the regional U.S. Department of Education, Office of Civil Rights, that serves your area, or call 1-800-421-3481.

Financial Aid

See Financial Information section of this Bulletin. 


Refer to specific graduate programs for detailed information regarding grading.


Formal graduation ceremonies are scheduled once a year, at the end of spring semester. All candidates must complete an application for graduation and fulfill all degree requirements, Graduation applications are available through WebAdvisor from the Registrar’s Office during the semester before the one in which they plan to complete their course work.

The application for graduation will prompt a record review regarding eligibility for graduation. Details regarding the commencement exercises are sent to students in the early Spring. Diplomas are awarded at the end of each semester however, formal graduation ceremonies are held only at the end of spring semester. Please note: Those students who have completed all required coursework may participate in the Graduation Ceremony.


A grade of Incomplete indicates that work has not been completed by the end of the semester or module due to circumstances beyond the student’s control. An Incomplete is student initiated. If the Professor thinks the situation warrants an Incomplete, an Incomplete form will be filed with the Registrar’s Office. To remove the “I” grade, the student must satisfy conditions set-up by the Professor within the specified time table and a new grade must be submitted to the Registrar no later than eight weeks after the last day of the semester in which the student enrolled in a full term course (15 weeks) or three weeks after the conclusion of a modular course (7 weeks). If an Incomplete grade is not removed on or before these dates, the student will receive an “F” (Failing Grade) for the course.

Leave of Absence

A student may find that it is not possible to participate in graduate course work. Any student intending to take a Leave of Absence of withdraw from the institution must meet with the Office of Student Success to fill out paperwork and review necessary next steps. Please call 614-236-6871 to make an appointment. Additionally, Leave of Absence/Withdrawal paperwork can be found at  

A student can be on leave for two consecutive terms without penalty if the appropriate forms have been completed and submitted to your advisor.  By filing this leave form, the student continues to receive communications.  This leave of absence does not apply to students with non-degree status. If a student remains on leave for a third consecutive term, or if no “leave status” form is filed, the student must be readmitted under the current policies and procedures which may differ from the original policies and procedures. Course work that is completed seven or more years previous to readmission must be evaluated by the faculty at the time of readmission. Trinity Seminary students should consult the Trinity program section of this Bulletin.

Privacy Act

Family Educational Rights and Privacy Act can be found here

Readmission to the Program

Candidates, who officially withdraw from the program, have been on official leave for more than three consecutive terms and subsequently wish to return must seek readmission.  If a candidate does not register for any classes for three consecutive semesters, that candidate will be regarded as having withdrawn from the program, unless good cause can be shown. Readmission requires a readmit form from the Registrar Office.  The University will review the application as to whether the re-applicant meets current admissions standards.  Thus, application for readmission does not guarantee acceptance.


Students are encouraged to meet with advisors early in their program to design a curriculum plan. A guide for curriculum planning is available from the graduate program. Students are expected to maintain a copy of their curriculum plan and are to maintain their own curriculum audit sheets to monitor their progress. These degree audits are available through WebAdvisor. 

Students will register for classes on-line through WebAdvisor after consulting with their academic advisor. Students may discuss registration with their advisor.

Repeating Courses

Only one course in which a grade is less than B- can be repeated. If a student is not able to meet course requirements, withdrawal should be initiated early in the semester or module.

Student Academic Grievance Resolution

Students have the right to appeal grades, involuntary withdrawal action or other academic issue by filing a written request within one semester of the occurrence. The written appeal must include supporting data and go first to the course Professor, the Department Chair or Dean and then, if the student wishes, to the Vice President of Academic Affairs/Provost of Capital University. Graduate students will follow the same appeal process as undergraduates. Information regarding grievance procedure can be found here

Student Rights and Policy Statements

Capital University has developed a number of statements and policies protecting the rights and well-being of its students, staff, and faculty. These include policies on the Family Educational Rights and Privacy Act, Drug Free Schools and Communities Act, Human Dignity Policy, Non-Discrimination Policy, Privacy Policy for Internal Users of ICT Resources, and Sexual Misconduct Policy. These and other important policies can be found here.

Transfer of Credit 

Students must apply for transfer of credit from another institution and provide a bulletin course description from the year in which the course was taken as well as a copy of the course syllabus. The Application for Transfer Credit Form is available from the Registrar’s Office. The Program Director from each specific graduate program must approve the transfer of credit. Candidates who follow the procedure outlined below maybe granted a total of up to nine semester hours of transfer credit. For specific transfer information, please consult specific program guidelines.

Students may receive full or partial credit for a transfer course. If partial credit is granted, students are asked to take the components of the course lacking in the transferred course. This is usually arranged as an independent study.

Accepted transfer credits in quarter hour units are converted to Capital University’s semester credit hour system. Thus, three quarter hour credits become two semester hour credits. The ratio is three quarter hours equals two semester hours is three to two.

Quarter hours to Semester Hours

6 hours = 4.00 hours
5 hours = 3.33 hours
4 hours = 2.67 hours
3 hours = 2.00 hours
2 hours = 1.33 hours
1 hour = 0.67 hours

In addition to faculty evaluation and approval, the following standard applies to transfer credit that a graduate course to be transferred, the grade must be a B or better.

Transfers Out of the University

If you transfer from Capital University while you are enrolled in one or more courses, the Program Director, your Advisor and the course Professor must be notified immediately in writing. Depending on the degree of completion of course work and the accumulated credit hours in the program, arrangements may be made for you to complete the course requirements by the end of the term even though you are away from campus. Inquiries and approval of courses will be determined by the Dean or Program Director of the specific program the student is applying. 


Following graduation, students may request one free transcript from each program in which a degree was completed. Each additional transcript costs $10.00. Transcript requests are made to the Registrar’s Office at least one week before the document is needed. Students may also order transcripts online. More information regarding this ordering process is available here.  All accounts must be paid before a transcript will be issued.

Transient Credit

A student who is enrolled or on official leave may take a course at another university to meet a Capital requirement. The student must obtain prior approval by completing the Transient Credit Form available at the Registrar’s office. Signatures are required from the advisor and the Department Chair of the specific program the student is enrolled in.

Withdrawal from the University

To withdraw completely from the university, the student must complete and submit the appropriate form to the Office of Student Success. Students wanting to withdraw should set up an appointment by contacting or by calling 614/236-6871. The student is requested to discuss withdrawal with their academic advisor prior to taking this action. If withdrawal is requested, the student should complete an Exit Interview with the Program Director of the specific program the student is enrolled in. The date of withdrawal will be the date the forms are returned to the Academic Success office.  Refunds will not be made without official written notification. Failure to complete study agreements does not constitute an official withdrawal. Trinity Seminary students should consult the Trininty program section for specific withdrawal details.