Jul 01, 2022
Requirements for Major in International Studies:
International Studies Core: (22 hours)
Modern Language: (0-20 hours; depending on proficiency)
- Required Courses: French, Spanish 110, 111, 220, 230, and one 300 level or higher class.
- The coordinator will determine the number and level of courses required for students learning other languages. Additional languages are available at nearby colleges through the Higher Education Council of Columbus (e.g., Arabic, Chinese, Italian, Japanese, and Korean).
- Students who speak a language other than English are waived from this requirement.
Focus I: at least 9 hours from one focus area (3 hours must be 300-level or higher)
Focus II: 9 hours from a 2nd focus area (3 hours must be 300-level or higher) (9 of the 18 hours in the two focus areas must be 300-level or higher)
Focus areas are courses that fit together by country, region, or theme of International Studies. Theme areas and the courses in them are approved by the coordinator of the program. The courses may be in different departments, but at their core must focus on a common theme. Examples of regional focus areas include Latin American Studies, African Studies, Middle East Studies, Asian Studies, and European Studies. Examples of issue related focus areas include Peace and Conflict Studies, International Business, Intercultural Communication and Global Environmental Studies.
Students may meet this by short-term faculty trips or by spending a semester studying abroad. Capital’s International Education Office has extensive resources to help you find study locations, most of which do not require fluency in the local language.
Signature Learning Requirements for International Studies Majors:
- First Year Seminar
- Reading and Writing
- Oral Communication
- Quantitative Reasoning
- Fine Arts
- Social Science - (Requirement fulfilled by Major)
- Cultural Pluralism
- Natural Science - Students must take a minimum of SIX (6) credit hours of Natural Science course (the combination of the Natural Science and Society requirement and the Laboratory Science Requirement).
- Global Systems
See Signature Learning Pathways for a complete listing of applicable cognate courses.