Adjunct Faculty-E.Lewis, Nahhas, Sims, Stidham, Vavrek, Weiss, L. Smith, Teuchtler
Health and Sports Sciences Mission Statement
The mission of the Health and Sports Science Department at Capital University is to prepare students who are devoted to developing, increasing and maintaining the span of healthy life through classroom and clinical education as well as community advocacy and service programs. Aligned with its role in liberal education, the department offers professional education for individuals wishing to pursue careers in athletic training and exercise science.
The major curricula of the department are multifaceted and programs of study can be designed to meet individual interests. A student may prepare for commercial or community service positions in health and fitness managmenet and be eligible for certification in numerous health and fitness areas. Through the exercise science majors students can prepare themselves for advanced studies in the exercise and health science fields. In addition, minors in coaching and health and strength & conditioning are available.
In addition to professional preparation for specific occupations, the major in health and sport sciences is an excellent background for graduate studies in related fields of business, recreation, guidance and counseling, administration, exercise physiology, research and sports medicine.
Health and Sports Science Learning Outcomes
- HSPTS majors will be able to critically assess evidenced-based clinical services across the continuum of care.
- HSPTS will critically analyze, evaluate, and develop logical solutions to practical problems
- HSPTS majors will develop the ability to communicate verbally to diverse audiences.
- HSPTS majors will demonstrate performance within multiple settings.
- HSPTS majors will practice professional development and discover the importance of life-long learning.